Thursday, August 12, 2010

Remembering is a beautiful thing

Today marks the anniversary of the passing of two very special people who left our family on this day, August 12, four years ago and one year ago. Remembering those actual days is painful; remembering who they were is beautiful. I know it can take a lifetime to appreciate all that someone has been in our lives, and even though they are gone, we can continue to learn from them.

I have lived long enough to realize that there are more family members behind me than in front of me. But those who are here provide what I am supposed to have. Every single day I think about how much family means to me. Some days I might feel aggravation; some days I might feel elation. But all days I feel gratitude and love.

It is impossible to perceive how anyone can survive in this world without the love of family and the continuity of memories and experiences. Whether those memories are good or not so good, to me the prospect of having no memories is a catastrophic prospect. There is a quote that goes something like, "God gave us memories so we might have roses in December."

Thank you Bob Derby and Judy Roque for the memories you have left for us to cherish. They help us live, laugh and love. Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment