Sunday, May 1, 2011

World Changing News

Literally, world changing news has just been reported that Osama Bin Laden has been killed by U.S. Special Forces in Pakistan and that his body is in the custody of the United States. I wrote to my daughters that I am puzzled by my reaction to this breathtaking news -- not elation or excitement, but certainly a feeling of justice denied-- now satisfied. I will never forget exactly what went through my mind on September 11, 2001 when Lisa called to wake me to the news that a tower of the World Trade Center in New York had been hit by an airplane.

Haley and Sydney were nearly newborns -- Haley was almost 6 months old, Sydney was just past 3 months. Morgan was just 8. I mourned the loss of innocence in our country and the fact that they would never know the America their parents had known. Nothing would ever be the same in America, though we would survive. My feelings remain the same to this day. I watch my daughters and their husbands never taking their eyes off their children, always on guard for something out of place, vigilant to protect them. They are realists. I remain a dreamer.

I envision a place where everyone is safe, where children can be children and that nobody takes away their innocence. I envision a country that is independent of the need to police the world and gets back to the values and visions of our founding fathers. I envision world peace. I envision love and hugs and joy and satisfaction and yes, innocence again.

Gratitude fills my heart for the servicemen and women who enlisted because Osama Bin Laden killed thousands of Americans and many thousands more people around the world. Many died in the wars, and many continue to fight. They can now rest in peace or continue their committment knowing their sacrifice has been worth something. I am grateful that our President had the courage and the internal conviction to follow through on a campaign promise to prioritize the efforts in the war on terrorism. Perhaps we can get past the politics this time and recognize in unity that good has been done.

Sometimes the news is good news. This is some of the best news I've heard in nearly ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment