Wednesday, July 14, 2010

DId you ever just KNOW something special was about to happen?

In the life of a grandmother, there are many wonderful and amazing moments every time she can be a part of her grandchildren's lives. Looking at their beautiful faces and listening to all their wonderful conversations, watching them develop and grow through no contribution of my own, I am a grandmother of vast pride. I am proud of the children, and I am proud of their parents. Children with confidence and pride are not born, they are nurtured. Children who work hard and continue to work hard in the face of disappointment are not born, they are nurtured.

One of my life's little treasures is being present to see my grandchildren achieve success in what they desire. It can be a completed perfect spelling test, a confident performance at a school variety show, making a beautiful handmade card for someone they love, a triple in a baseball game that brings home 3 runners, scoring 5 goals in a soccer game, a trip away from home to camp for a week with new friends to be made. Or, it can be a soccer game where one of them succeeds to her heart's most lofty intention -- scoring a goal that ties the game -- seeing her own hard work come to fruition at a special moment.

And sometimes, a grandmother just "knows" something special is going to happen. All she has to do is pay attention every day to the little miracles around her and expect to find beauty, courage and success by living in the moment. Wow. I'm so blessed.

3 comments:

  1. This post is just wonderful... it made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blessed to be babysitting my 2 year old grandaughter today after missing all the g-kids while away for two weeks. She ran straight to grandpa when we got back and then later she finally came to me and sat on my lap. She brings such joy to us and to see her interact with her mommie--our daughter all grown up--is a pleasure to watch and makes me think "maybe I DID do something right!"
    Grandkids are life's great joy and every moment I spend with mine is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete