Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dog is God spelled backwards

I admit it: I'm obsessive about my dog, Joey. Some people tease me by telling me that I treat him like a person. Like, when he's sick, I take him to the doctor. Like, when he's hungry, I get him some food. Like, when he needs water, I get water for him. I like to spend time with Joey. He is my buddy, and he shares my day.

Evidently he likes to share much more. Yesterday he managed to get to some medication I dropped before I could pick it up. Poison control advised immediate attention at the veterinary hospital. I won't go into it, but Joey went through a terrible ordeal over the next 24 hours involving charcoal, epicac and needles. The ordeal didn't end when we got home. My awareness that my back issues prevent me from taking care of Joey under some circumstances hit home yesterday. I was feeling quite overwhelmed with the notion of administering more of this charcoal solution at 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. the next morning. Lifting him is one thing; controlling his strength is another.

The old saying "Dog is God spelled backwards" went through my mind, and I thought, well, God loves this dog as much as I do and He will provide what is needed for Joey's care. And he did in the form of Sue, a person who just happened to be at the vet's office when I picked Joey up and was perfectly able to give Joey his medication by coming to the house at 11:00 p.m. And so I believe that old saying, more now than ever before. And I believe that God listens when we call and opens our hearts to hear and accept His solutions. My grateful heart and my grateful dog say Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment