Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Future challenges

I had lunch yesterday with a friend who has Parkinson's. He is 60 years old and was diagnosed ten years ago. We had a good time -- laughter and concern was a big part of our time together. He has a wonderful way of looking at life with sort of "gallows humor," my favorite kind. It is fascinating to me to listen as he expresses questions and as he faces a somewhat known future, hoping to get information about how to plan better and more accurately for what lies ahead. He is in the unique position of having no choice but to prepare. He is a man of faith and so I know he will rely on God for strength and help. He has a large family for support emotionally and physically.

I wonder how differently I would live my life if I prepared for what comes my way, instead of responding with typical "deer in the headlights" surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment