Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Here a pill, there a pill, everywhere a pill pill

My insurance company recently converted my prescription processing to refills by mail, with a daunting 90-day supply of each medication for only $10 each. They do this with "maintenance" drugs (the ones that you take every day to stay healthy or alive), so while it is very economical and efficient to do this, it may be kind of critical to keep track of everything. With the final acknowledgement of a few concentration issues, this process overwhelms me.

Since living in California means the constant possibility of earthquakes, and being the fine citizen that I am who listens to the experts, I finally decided about 2 months ago that I should have emergency supplies of my meds. So I have some in my car (with the requisite changes of undies, peanut butter, bottles of water and dog food for Joey), some in my place at Elk Grove, and some here.

The refill notice came the other day and when I noticed the refills would happen on July 13th, I counted my remaining supply and panicked, having forgotten about my stashes. Of course the call to the insurance company left me feeling like a junkie, having been interrogated and reprimanded for not keeping better track of my pills. Hell, I can't even keep track of my glasses (on top of my head). This is a huge responsibility for someone like me. After painstaking searching, I managed to account for all the medication I should have. But same lesson comes through -- its all about focus. Pay attention. Live today. Be here now. And it might not hurt to ask St. Anthony for a little help.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to change out the pills from time to time so they don't expire! That is something I know I would forget. My daughter threw out a bottle of dressing the other day that had a 2008 expiration date on it and said "that's disgusting." I got it for a recipe, used it and that was it.

    ReplyDelete