Monday, June 28, 2010

Meltdowns aren't just for kids anymore

Meldowns aren't just for kids anymore -- sometimes freezers and women have them too.

Plans for a simple, quiet weekend were altered when on Saturday morning, after returning from the Memorial Service for a friend, I found my freezer failed. Of course I had a boatload of frozen food (first time in years) and moved it over to the refrigerator side in hopes of salvaging most of it. Lo and behold, when you have a side-by-side, when one side goes, so does the other. A friend stopped by and checked it out. He suggested I consider a new fridge, after I had called a service company and gotten an estimate of between $300-$400 to possibly get it repaired. I discovered this early enough in the day to run to the nearest home improvement store and get a good deal on a replacement, for delivery on Sunday. That was a great stroke of luck. By the time I got home, all the food was room temperature, so into the trash it went. This is just life, but my fridge was only 7 years old. The one I'd had before lasted 17 years. Huh.

Next came attempted installation of a used replacement microwave, which didn't work out. The mounting bracket couldn't be adapted to fit. Back to the home improvement store to buy a new microwave. In every respect it made sense to get a brand new one with all the latest technology and possible longevity. It was installed post-haste and by late afternoon I could microwave popcorn! Whew! Thanks to Guy, all is well in the microwave department.

By that afternoon, I was blown out. Stress was building, pain was exhausting and there was too much chaos happening around me. I had lost all patience with myself and everyone around me. Sadness was a part of it, having learned on Saturday that my cousin Mary is in the final stages of her cancer. I had hoped to see her, but I completely understand that she has chosen privacy for this time in her life. There is no more time for silly recollections nor catching up on the past 15 years....just time for Mary to find peace. Mary is the youngest of my Aunt Minnie's children and 10 years older than me. Enter the reality that our days are numbered. Again, the same old refrain -- be here now.

After apologizing for my meltdown (just tearful inability to speak), all is better. Understanding and compassion is all I needed that afternoon. And it was there for me. A hug from a couple of friends, and a kind word of understanding, and life is good again. I'm ready to face the day. I slept all night, and the sun is shining brightly. Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment